Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Patience Is A Virtue

FM Live resembles real life in many way, even more than we realise. In real life, patience is a virtue because it makes us better people in general. This principle also works in FM Live. Patience really is a virtue and important to have, both in the real world and in the virtual Game Worlds we are in.

The definition of the word "patience" is to tolerate delay. This implies self control and forebearance as opposed to wanting what we want when we want it. Applied to FM Live, think of realistic situations where you splash your entire transfer budget and overpay considerably for a decent player, only to find out a cheaper alternative is a available only a few days later. How many times have we jumped the gun and found out it it would have been better to tolerate delay or had self control?

Also a nice one, what did we miss out on? Couldn't we have built a nice stadium with that money? Did we sell that youth player too soon or too cheap? Should we not have had more patience with that talented forward, instead of flogging him off?

Did we hurt someone else or ourselves (or our team) because of lack of patience? Did our lives just change completely just because we couldn't control ourselves? Patience is not only a virtue but a necessity for a happy exisitience.

The reason for this semi-philosophical rant is clear, I'm one of these more patient managers. This doesn't mean I don't get annoyed at times though and I need to let off some steam. I'm still pretty pissed because I had to flog off most of the U17 generation relatively cheap, instead of being able to watch them mature.

I also invested a considerable lump of cash into the acquisation of central defender Ryhor Filipenko, the tall Russian beast-man. This very morning, right before his auction ended, someone else swooped in and outbid me.

I could have gotten angry. I could have panicked. I could go out and throw enormous amounts of cash around to find a similar player. Instead, I will try my patience. Another opportunity will arise soon. Maybe not for a defender, but I am sure a more profitable situation will soon arise. Patience is my main virtue.

1 comment:

  1. I think patience is just a product of being able to hold a tought or wish in your head for prolonged periods of time.
    With this I mean, many people can not motivate themselves to work on a long term goal, at least not consistently.
    This leads to procrastination and, without being able to get those long term goals completed, you need an outlet in any way you can get it - thus having no patience :P

    ReplyDelete