Friday, May 15, 2009

Expectations For The New Season

With my recent transfer from XEFA to EEFA, I'm not quite sure what to expect of the new season. EEFA has some top notch teams in it, like Ste's Mighty Villa and Jogabonito FC. Based on the world ranking, my own team should be able to hold its own and achieve a top position, but as I have learned before, world rankings mean shit all.

I am content with the progress the team has made though. I reinforced the defence considerably. Hell, only one player from last seasons defence is still playing for my team. Only Vitaly Mandzyuk is still a Fortuna squad member. Fernando Amorebieta, Rolando, Javier Flano and Sascha Dum have reinforced our defence, whereas Sandy Paillot, Ricardo Clark and Thiago Carleto have departed, all in profitable deals.

Midfield is still a bit dodgy. I don't have a lot of depth in this line of the team. Serge Wawa is basically my only decent defensive midfielder and he's a natural defender... Paulo Henrique is the only class central midfielder, Issey Nakajima-Farran and Marko Damjanovic are either not natural midfielders or not (yet) good enough. Down the wings, Pat McCourt and Robert Flores are world class, but I have no real replacements in case of a serious injury.

Upfront, I have two able strikers. Dieumerci Mbokani is the undisputed first choice upfront. He keeps banging in the goals at all levels, so I have no need to replace him. He's still fairly young and his wages are quite normal (26k), so he really has been a bit of a bargain. Backup striker Ola Toivonen is more static, but better in the air so ideal when the team needs a targetman upfront. He's on very cheap wages (3k) but he's got an expiring contract so I may swap him for another striker of similar value.

On the youth level, I'm quite content with the progress some players have made. Christian Rapp has been promoted to backup goalie and may see some first team action this season. Marko Damjanovic has been making regular appearances this season, same as his countryman Velibor Jovanovic, who covers for Javier Flano if needed. Upfront, Angelo Antonucci has been loaned to Tom Delgado's Red Devils USA to get first team experience. Not sure if I'm going to regret that, as Tom has the nasty habit to break all his players...

2 comments:

  1. Loaning players to Tom is the real gamble :p

    Also Jogabonito FC is in XFA, It is sad you couldn't remember two teams from EEFA. Maybe I will join EEFA next season and help you with team names to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Jogabonito, not Jogabonito FC, my bad ;)

    ReplyDelete