Friday, May 22, 2009

Could This Be My Season?!

I have a dream... Well, I have several dreams actually and some don't include beer and naked women... Some include visions of unrivalled success and stacks of silverware... And this might just be the season in which I can make my dream come true...

Let's have a look at why I am so optimistic, which is not a natural state of mind for me... I'm still in the World Youth Cup. I am currently in the quarter finals, but I have beaten every other side still in the tournament. The current draw looks like this. (Note: I added their current position in the youth rankings)

Kampong (6th) vs The Jakswans (36th)
Griffin FC (2nd) vs Never Walk Alone FK (46th)
Fortuna Aeternitas (10th) vs Gimp Athletic (40th)
Manchester Utd (15th) vs The Leeds Knights (22nd)

I stand a very realistic chance of reaching the next round, and after that... Who knows what might happen, it's the knock-out stage of a major tournament... Anything can happen, but I am giving myself a very decent chance.

I'm also still in the U21 Game World Cup. Having beaten the #1 in the youth rankings in the previous round, I hope the team can build on this momentum. I'm currently in the quarter finals and the draw looks like this.

Fortuna Aeternitas (10th) vs Bradford City (56th)
BB City (58th) vs OutKasts (21st)
Club Atletico Boca Juniors (116th) vs Manchester Utd (15th)
Angels Advocate (20th) vs The Leeds Knights (22nd)

Even when the rankings don't mean a thing in a knock-out competition, I am the highest rank left in the tournament. Realistically, I should be able to progress here and cause some damage in the next round as well.

Finally, the Miller Game World Cup. Again, I am in the quarter finals, and this is what the draw looks like in there...

Terrible Towelies (47th) vs Fortuna Aeternitas (31st)
JK Tallinna Piraaja (1st) vs The Reds (6th)
Mumbai Town XI (10th) vs Canisius (42nd)
FC J-Ilves (4th) vs The Leeds Knights (17th)

I'm not a clear favorite in this tournament, but as I stated before, anything can happen in a knock-out...

So with a dose of uncharacteristic optimism, I think I have a pretty decent shot at two UFFA competitions and I'm an outsider for one. Maybe, just maybe, I will get lucky before Murphy's Law kicks in and prepares me for a rude awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment