Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Expectations, Analysis & Prognosis

Phew, a tough one this... In the past few seasons, I've always been struggling to attain a mid-table position in the XEFA Premiership. Last season started out well, but an injury to my main striker Dieumerci Mbokani pretty much ruined my league run. The poor bastard broke his leg and was out for 10 days, which pretty much left my team firing blanks upfront.

Looking at my position in the World Rankings, I should end top 10 this season. I feel I have signed a few decent new players and the newly recovered Mbokani has found his shooting boots again, scoring over 40 goals in the past two days. I've brought in quite a few players actually. Various new defenders, midfielders and forwards have come to Fortuna Aeternitas. I'm a bit of a merchant really...

With Uruguayan Robert Flores, Canadian Issey Nakajima-Farran and Irishman Pat McCourt (on loan) I now have the wingers to play a proper wide 4-3-3. These guys have been tearing it up during pre-season, wreaking havoc on many a defence. McCourt has impressed me enough to make a bid considerably above his Market Value, as I hope to make him a permanent part of my squad.

I also had to replace both wingbacks. Sturdy and reliable German Sascha Dum departed for Muzzy's FC Blitzkrieg for a friend's fee and Colombian wingback Rodrigo Sevillano was taken from me in a wage auction. I brought in two new faces to replace them, American Ricardo Clark came in for the RB position and Brazilian Tiago Carleto came in to replace Dum as LB. Both are more of a liability defensively, but they're stronger going forward. Since the best defence is proper offence, I feel this will work out.

At the back, Tom Mandzyuk and Sergio Diaz are forming the new central couple in the heart of my defence. Both are tall, strong and fast and they should be able to do well against most strikers. This means that last seasons duo has been broken up. Serge Wawa has moved on to a position as defensive midfielder, whereas Sandy Paillot is now benched.

In the point of the attack, I now have two decent backups for Mbokani running around. Swedish starlet Ola Toivonen came in near the end of the season and proved himself a worthy replacement of Mbokani in the few remaining official games and the post-season games, bagging an average of 0.8 goals a game before sustaining a serious injury himself, right at the point when Mbokani had recovered.

My second back-up is Iranian powerhouse striker Jalal Rafkhaei, who was brought in as an enforcer. The guy isn't that good, but he's tall and strong and his raw aggression is useful when you're trying to break down a defence in the last fifteen minutes. He's also capable of scoring goals, especially headers.

My expectations and prognosis are pretty much the same I guess. A top 10 spot in the league and with some luck of the draw we could stunt in the XEFA Cup... That will be the main aims of our senior campaign for season 5.

3 comments:

  1. You should aim higher than 10th mate! Top 5 should be your goal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys. I'm aiming low, so I won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete