Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Altobelli; A New Saga Begins

So yeah, a new saga looks like it's beginning. I haven't really had the time to update my blog, as Altobelli is sucking up most of my available time. Still, it's a whole new experience. In three days of modding Altobelli, I've had more work than in four to five seasons in Miller. Mutes, yellow cards, transfer frauds, match fixing, the works...

Still, I relish the challenge and look forward to the first season starting. Since I'm focussing on youths rather than seniors, my team isn't that good in comparison to the Miller version, which was usually in the top 30 of the GW. Still, my knowledge of the mechanics of 1.2 ensure that even my minnows aren't being disgraced in every game we play, which is good enough as it is.

Regarding the name of the new Altobelli world, some guys in Miller have been asking me about this. Especially for them:
Alessandro Altobelli (born 28 November 1955 in Sonnino, Latina) is an Italian former football player. Nicknamed Spillo ("Needle") for his slender build, Altobelli was one of the most effective Italian forwards of the late 1970s and 1980s. Following spells at Latina (Serie C) and Brescia (Serie B), he was signed by Internazionale, for whom he played 466 times, scoring 209 goals (128 in Serie A) and massively contributing to his team's scudetto of 1980. For Italy he was capped 61 times, scoring 25 goals: the most notable of which is the third goal in the 1982 FIFA World Cup final, won by Italy against West Germany. He became the first ever substitute to score in a FIFA World Cup final (with Rudi Völler being the only one to repeat this feat ever since in 1986). Altobelli also played at Euro 80, the 1986 FIFA World Cup, and Euro 88, where he played as team's captain. He made 4 sub appearances scoring just after coming on in a 2-0 win over Denmark in the group stages. He is currently a sports analyst for the Al Jazeera sports channel, with Cesare Maldini.
So yeah, for so far history.

I'm also looking at introducing my community-building football quizzes. They are received very well so far, but I am worried the questions I have might be too hard for most of the guys in there. Miller has an older crowd, whereas many of the guys in Altobelli are very young.

Saving the worst for last, I am now apparently a racist as well. When we confronted a guy on match fixing, losing a game by fourteen goals because he had no keeper, he claimed to not know teams required a keeper to operate. This was coming from a 16 year old European lad who has subscriptions in several other Game Worlds...

I jokingly remarked that you had to be an American (or someone else with no footballing background) to make a mistake like that, so it sounded like match fixing to me. Having strong American roots within my own family, that remark seemed perfectly valid, but all of a sudden I am a racist and should be taken too court. Ludicrous.

Fortunately, incidents like that one are scarce, but they are annoying anyway, especially when they get plastered on your feedback screen whilst your off-line. Still, despite incidents like this, I have full faith we can make Altobelli into a top GW.

2 comments:

  1. sounds good mate, hopefully i can get in and help you guys, its so frustrating lol

    Dave

    ReplyDelete