Thursday, April 8, 2010

Why I Dislike Returning Stars

Honestly, I know it will sound like I am whinging and complaining, and maybe I am a bit, but I'm just not a fan of the Returning Stars concept. The reason behind this is simple, I prefer players to stay retired. I have sort of emotional connections with certain players, some of which I have have had in my team for most of their career. I feel connected to these players and it hurts me to see them with another manager, especially if he's some inactive AI drone sitting in a bottom tier of the CFA someplace.

Incidentally, I do understand the concept of these Returning Stars and the reasoning behind the draft system. I even agree that the less fortunate managers in a GameWorld should receive some sort of seasonal boost, to try and close the gap a bit. The point is, I just don't like the fact that formerly retired players are used for this.

I would like to propose an alternative to the Returning Stars draft at the end of a season. Instead of making it a draft of returning formerly retired players, make it more like the MLS drafts, where young players, upcoming talents are drafted into the squads. The teams that have performed the worst are allocated the best youths, whereas the better teams get the worse youths.

The benefit of this system is, in my eyes anyway, that retired players stay retired. If you don't like the concept of players retiring and being removed from your game, don't play games such as FM 2010 or FM Live. Players retire, deal with it. Don't bring them back to have them sit at some AI drone and smudge their reputation they have built up within a GameWorld.

Seriously, sometimes it pains me to see which kind of players are wasting away at the AI drones in CFA and CIFA in Miller. Just a quick look at the players wasting away at AI drones. Michael Ballack, Thomas Kahlenberg, Carlos Vela, Marek Hamsik, Serdar Tasci, Younes Kaboul, André-Pierre Gignac, Arjen Robben, Edu, Raul Garcia and many, many more.

Replace these big names with young talents and at least you won't be tarnishing the players reputation and you won't reward these managers for being crap AI drones. In order to make something of these youths, they will have to actively develop them or if they're looking for a quick fix, they can sell them.

Pretty please, can you make it so SI?

2 comments:

  1. If you take away the returning players, I don't have any of the success I've had in the past two seasons, and I probably finally say fuck it and quit. No reason really for me to continue to wallow at the bottom of the GW if I'm not going to get anything for being the hardest working manager there is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youths are probably worth as much as any RS.

    ReplyDelete